Department of Sociology & Criminology
Honours Program Criminology
This is a selective program. Applicants for admission must:
- have completed at least 60 credit hours;
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.3;
- have a cumulative GPA in Criminology courses of 3.30 out of 4.3;
- have a faculty member's written agreement to serve as a supervisor for the honours thesis, CRIM 4601.
The deadline for application is 1 April of the year before students wish to begin the honours program.
For honours in Criminology, students must complete sixty (60) credit hours as follows:
a. Major Core Courses
- SOCI 1210 Introductory Sociology(minimum grade C)
- CRIM 2303 Introduction to Criminology
- CRIM 3010 [SOCI 3010] Classical Theory
- CRIM 3011 Contemporary Criminological Theory
- CRIM 3100 [SOCI 3100] Qualitative Research Methods
- CRIM 3102 [SOCI 3102] Quantitative Research Methods
- CRIM 3304 Canadian Criminal Justice System
b. Honours Core Courses
- CRIM 4501 Advanced Theory
- CRIM 4502 Advanced Research Methods
- CRIM 4600 Honours Thesis Research Preparation
- CRIM 4601 Honours Thesis Writing
c. Six (6) credit hours in CRIM at the 3000 level.
d. Twelve (12) credit hours in CRIM at the 4000 level.
To graduate, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.30 out of 4.3 in Criminology courses as well as earn a grade of B+ in CRIM 4601.