Department of Modern Languages & Classics
A major in Classics comprises forty-two (42) credit hours, twenty-four (24) credit hours of which must be at the 3000 level or above. Six (6) credit hours are required in an ancient language, e.g. Greek or Latin. Students hoping to go on in Classics at the graduate level should understand that most graduate programs will require eighteen (18) or more credit hours in Latin or Greek and some work in the other language for admission, so they should begin the study of those languages as soon as possible. Students in Arts must maintain a minimum quality point average of 2.00 (an average mark of C) in order to achieve the Classics major.
The following are recommended as core courses for the major:
- CLAS 1001: Ancient Civilizations of the Near East and Egypt
- CLAS 1002: The Ancient Civilizations of Greece and Rome
- CLAS 2000: An Introduction to Greek Art and Archaeology
- CLAS 2100: A Survey of Roman Art and Archaeology
- CLAS 2451: Greek History I: From Minos to the Medes
- CLAS 2452: Greek History II: The Golden Age of Greece
- CLAS 2453: Republic and Revolution: Roman History I
- CLAS 2454: Bloody Ceasars: Roman History II
- CLAS 3000: Topics in Greek Art and Archaeology
- CLAS 3100: Topics in Roman Archaeology
- CLAS 3310: Classical Literature
- CLAS 3317: Greek Sanctuaries
- CLAS 3318: Classical Archaeology
- CLAS 3610: Field Study in Roman Archaeology
- CLAS 3611: Laboratory Methods in Roman archaeology
The minor in Classics consists of at least twenty-four (24) credit hours, twelve (12) of which must be at the 3000 level or above. To obtain the minor students must achieve a minimum quality point average of 2.00 (an average grade of C or better) in the courses of the minor.
Concentration in Classics
To obtain a concentration in any of the subject areas in the Department in partial fulfillment of the B.A. General Degree (i.e. one with a Double Arts Concentration and a minimum of ninety (90 credit hours, a minimum of twenty-four (24) credit hours is required; also a minimum cumulative quality point average of 2.00.