Accounting Achievement Award - Application Form
Part 1 – Award Information
The Faculty of the Department of Accounting have recently initiated and funded three annual Awards. These awards are designed to recognize the performance of our Accounting Majors who have demonstrated an outstanding personal commitment to support, and who have “breathed life” into, elements of the mission of the Sobey School of Business.
The mission indicates that the Sobey School of Business, through active learning and the creation and mobilization of scholarship, prepares citizens of the world to lead sustainable, entrepreneurial businesses and communities. This mission is supported by the Department of Accounting’s own Vision Statement that identifies similar key components of student success. Achievement Awards are available in each of the following three areas:
- Citizen of the World – an award will be given to the student who has demonstrated a commitment to preparing for the global business environment in the spirit of good citizenship.
- Active Learning– an award will be given to the student who has actively engaged with study opportunities by demonstrating exemplary performance in a variety of applied and experiential learning activities available through the Sobey School of Business.
- Demonstrated Leadership – an award will be given to the student who has made a difference, showing initiative and responsibility by helping others create shared value.
To be eligible, declared Sobey School of Business Accounting Majors must normally have:
- completed 90 credit hours and;
- Completed all required 3000-level accounting major courses; and
- Earned a minimum GPA of 3.3 in the required 3000-level accounting major courses completed.
Candidates should submit a two-page essay explaining how they have supported one of the three mission areas indicated above, and convincingly tell us about experiences that make them proud of their role as a Santamarian. Applicants are required to arrange for two separate confidential recommendations from individuals, including one faculty member, who can attest to their exemplary performance; and provide a personal resumé.
Completed applications (see Part 2 – Accounting Achievement Award Application Form), the candidate’s essay, a copy of the candidate’s resumé, and the two confidential recommendations (see Part 3 – Referee Statement) must be received by November 15 each year by the Financial Aid & Awards Office, at Enrolment Services, MM108 at Saint Mary’s University. Instructions for submission are found on Part 2, the Application Form and Part 3, the Referee Statement.
Award selection is determined by the Financial Aid & Awards Office, based on the recommendations of an Accounting Achievement Award Review Committee appointed by the Dean of the Sobey School of Business.
Award winners will receive $1,000, a certificate of accomplishment, a notation on their university transcript, and public recognition at an official ceremony.