International Co-operative Governance Symposium
September 5th (evening), 6th and 7th, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
A two day gathering of leading governance practitioners and researchers to discuss and debate the challenges and opportunities for co-operative governance at a global scale.
A combination of presentations, panels, and working sessions that guarantees to stretch your mind, call on your expertise, and expose you to approaches from around the world.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS for an academic or practitioner paper or presentation. Deadline May 1, 2013
DRAFT PROGRAM evening Reception on September 5th through to late afternoon on September 7th.
TRAVEL LOGISTICS AND HOTEL SUGGESTIONS basic travel information and hotel recommendations for Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Symposium Focus Areas
- Emerging governance approaches and models
- Preserving and enhancing democracy in co-operative governance
- Upholding ownership and control by membership
- Challenges applying traditional and corporate approaches to co-ops
- Maintaining governance strength in crisis: demutualization, competition, etc.
- Director education. Leading practices and gaps.
- Other topics are welcome based on participants’ areas of expertise and research.
- Be part of the conversation that will explore potential solutions to tough, unanswered questions.
- Provide input into a research, training, and education agenda geared toward improving co-operative governance.
- Broaden your perspective and learn from other experts across the co-operative movement.
Who should attend
Co-operative sector governance experts including:
- Academic researchers and instructors with a governance focus
- Chief governance officers and corporate secretaries, Board Chairs and Directors, CEOs
- Representatives from leading co-operative and social economy think tanks
- Co-operative sector organizations/associations active in governance training
- Governance consultants
Call for Proposals Lead and Symposium Co-Director: Dr. Sonja Novkovic, firstname.lastname@example.org
Symposium Co-Director: Karen Miner, Managing Director, Co-operative Management Education, email@example.com or 902-496-8170
Registration: Cathy Mason, firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-491-6257