G.R. (Dick) Chesley, Ph.D.
T (902) 420-5617
F (902) 420-5011
G.R. (Dick) Chesley is Professor of Accounting at Saint Mary's University. Previously he held positions at Dalhousie University and the University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School of Business) along with visiting positions at Lingnan University, Baptist University, Hong Kong, and the University of Iowa, Iowa City.
Dr. Chesley is a graduate of Mount Allison University, Sackville, N.B. and The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, and was a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nova Scotia. His career activities include numerous research publications in prestigious journals such as the Accounting Review and the Journal of Accounting Research, books such as eight editions of Managerial Accounting, three editions of Fundamentals of Financial Accounting, both published with McGraw-Hill Ryerson (Irwin), and two editions of Financial Accounting published with Nelson. For his educational endeavours, the Canadian Academic Accounting Association presented him the L.S. Rosen Outstanding Educator Award in 1996. Dr. Chesley rounds out his academic and research interests with a variety of family activities involving his wife Dianna of forty years and his two daughters.
- "A Comparison of Canadian and US Legal Systems Regarding Misrepresentation in Corporate Financial Reporting” at the Critical Perspectives on Accounting Conference, Buruch College, City University of New York, April 2005.
- “Investors' Assessment of Analyst Forecast Bias” to the National CAAA Conference in June 2005 in Quebec City.
- GRI Guidelines: A Global Standard for Sustainable Reporting with Ping Zhou, presented to The Department of Accounting Research Seminar, October 2004 and to the Atlantic Schools of Business Conference, November 2004.
- Is XBRL a Road to Epoch Four for Financial Accounting? Presented to the Atlantic Schools of Business Conference, November 2004.
- Corporate Governance and Independent Director System in China - Xiamen University International Conference on Accounting and Finance in Transitional Economics, Xiamen China, Fall 03
- Financial Reporting for Derivatives - ASAC Conference. June 03
- Corporate Governance and the Role of Databases - ASAC Conf. June 03
- Governance Practices: Omissions and Extensions, Keynote address, Xiamen University International Conference on Accounting and Finance in Transitional Economics, Xiamen China - 2003.
- Governance Practices… also presented to American Association of Accounting and Finance, New Orleans, December 2003.
- Accounting Epoch Four: Are Accountants Ready? Address to Accounting Department, Wuhan University, Wuhan China, Fall 2003.
- ACC 455 - Financial Accounting Seminar
- ACC 470 - Managerial Accounting Seminar
- ACC 343 - Financial Accounting Analysis
- ACC 540.MF - Financial Accounting - Master of Finance
- ACC 641.MF - Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis - Master of Finance
- Are University Professors Qualified to Teach Ethics - Journal of Academic Ethics, 2003.
- Fully Diluted Earning per Share: an Elaboration of the CICA Handbook Section 3500 - CAERN - Winter 2003.
- Managerial Accounting: Concepts for Planning, Control, and Decision Making, 8th edition (Garrison et al), McGrawHill Ryerson, 2008.
- Financial Accounting, 2nd edition (Porter et al), Nelson, 2009.
RESUME / C.V.