About Saint Mary's
Stocks Are Rising – Big Win for Saint Mary’s Students at International Stock Picking Competition
24 April, 2017
Far left: George Athanassakos, Professor of Finance & Director of Ben Graham Centre for Value Investing @ Ivey Business School, Western University
Middle: The Winners Bill MacGregor, Dev Jyoty Nath, Morris MacLeod
Far right: Doug Winslow of Burgundy Asset Management one of the judges for the event. Burgundy is one of the sponsors for the event.
A team of MBA students from the Sobey School of Business at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax has won an international stock picking competition, beating teams from prestigious universities around the world such as Columbia Business School, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern and the Ivey Business School. Bill MacGregor, Morris MacLeod and Dev Jyoty Nath competed last week in the Ben Graham Centre For Value Investing Competition at the Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario.
This stock picking competition is different from others in that it focuses on the value investing approach to stock analysis. Value investing is the strategy used by high profile investor Warren Buffett, among others. The investor chooses stocks they believe to be undervalued, and buy for the long term. The team will split the $10,000 prize money – decent earnings for a few weeks of intense research.
From a field of 27 top-ranked business schools (see below), the Sobey team advanced to the final round in Toronto along with Kellogg School of Management (Northwestern University), Columbia Business School, and Ivey Business School. After presenting to a distinguished panel of value investors, the team was awarded 1st place and received a prize of $10,000!
The team greatly appreciated the opportunity to represent the school and would like to thank Ross Hallett, Thomas Storring, Mohammed Rahaman, Jeff Young, James O’Brien, Chantal Hervieux, Wendy Carroll, Colin Dodds, and the research resource team at the Patrick Power library for their invaluable support. The team advisor was Saint Mary’s marketing professor, Dr. Ethan Pancer.
Participating teams included:
- Carnegie Mellon (Tepper School of Business)
- Columbia Business School
- Cornell University
- Fordham University (The Gabelli School of Business)
- IESE Business School
- Indiana University (Kelley School of Business)
- London Business School
- McGill (Desautels Faculty of Management)
- Nanyang Business School
- Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management)
- NYU (Stern School of Business)
- Queen's University (Smith School of Business)
- Saint Mary's University (Sobey School of Business)
- SDA Bocconi School of Management
- The University of Manchester (Alliance Manchester Business School)
- UCLA (Anderson School of Management)
- University of California Berkeley (Haas School of Business)
- University of Cambridge (Judge Business School)
- University of Chicago (Booth School of Business)
- University of Notre Dame (Mendoza College of Business)
- University of Stirling
- University of Toronto (Rotman School of Management)
- University of Waterloo
- USC (Marshall School of Business)
- Western University (Ivey Business School)