About Saint Mary's
Delegation from Beijing Normal University Zhuhai visiting Saint Mary’s
18 July, 2016
A delegation of faculty and administrators from Beijing Normal University – Zhuhai (BNUZ) in China arrived at Saint Mary’s this week for a 14-day summer institute focused on intercultural exploration of strategies and best practices in university teaching and administration. This is the second year BNUZ has visited Saint Mary’s for this informative institute.
“Saint Mary’s has had a long relationship with BNUZ, including recent partnerships across all three faculties,” said Dr. Robert Summerby-Murray, President and Vice-Chancellor of Saint Mary’s. “We look forward to hosting them at Saint Mary’s and engaging in a fruitful exchange of our respective practices. Last year’s institute was a tremendous success and we are very excited to provide them with another memorable Nova Scotia experience.”
The BNUZ delegation arrived at Saint Mary’s on Sunday, July 17. They will stay at Saint Mary’s until July 30, taking part in a number of seminars and workshops led by Saint Mary’s faculty and staff. In addition to discussing perspectives on teaching and administration, the delegates will enjoy tours that feature Nova Scotian culture and community-based experiential learning opportunities for our students.
“One of the key goals of the visit is for delegates from BNUZ to gain a better understanding of how Saint Mary’s works and to help build relationships between counterpart staff at each of the institutions,” said Dr. Esther Enns, Saint Mary’s Acting Vice-President, Academic and Research. “The BNUZ delegates who attended last year whole-heartedly enjoyed gaining first-hand knowledge of the practices of Saint Mary’s and immersing themselves in Nova Scotia culture and experiences.”
Some of the highlights of the schedule include:
- Welcoming & Opening Ceremonies: Monday, July 18, 9:00 a.m.
- Campus & Facility Tour: Thursday, July 23, 10:30 a.m.
- Port of Halifax Tour: Monday, July 18, 1:30 p.m.
- Dinner for delegates in the homes of various Saint Mary’s faculty and staff, Wednesday, July 20
- BNUZ-SMU Partnership Appreciation Tree Planting Ceremony, Friday, July 22, 3:30 p.m.
- Tour of Halifax, including Halifax Public Library, Citadel Hill, Museums and Pride Parade, Saturday, July 23
- Tour outside the city to Peggy’s Cove, Lunenburg and Hubbards, Sunday, July 24
- “Open Space” Discussion Forum, Wednesday, July 27, 9:00 a.m.
- Closing Ceremony: Friday, July 29, 3:00 p.m.