About Saint Mary's
Chemistry students win big at three conferences
22 June, 2016
The Faculty of Science is proud of its students’ achievements at three recent conferences:
- 8 awards at the Regions Science Atlantic Student Conference
- 2 awards at the CSC National Conference
- 1 award at the Canadian Electrochemical Society Conference.
At the Science Atlantic – Chemistry Student Conference (ChemCon2016), Saint Mary’s had a strong showing from undergraduate, graduate and faculty members, with students representing the university with strong oral and poster presentations, coming away with the lion’s share of the awards, including the top three for the conference, said Dr. Robert Singer, Professor of Chemistry at Saint Mary’s.
The 99th National Conference for the Canadian Society for Chemistry was held in Halifax this year. The theme was Chemistry: The Next Wave, which “highlights a prominent feature of the spectacular location and symbolizes the progress of research in chemistry,” said the organization.
The Electrochemical Society (ECS), Canadian Section, met this year at Saint Mary’s University, with the keynote speaker Dr. Mark Orazem attending from the University of Florida. The meeting was dedicated to the memory of the late Prof. Sharon Roscoe, a preeminent Nova Scotian electrochemist.
The award winners are:
- Presley MacMillan - CIC Award for the Best Undergraduate Poster Presentation in Analytical Chemistry (ChemCon2016)
- Angela Todd - CIC Award for the Best Undergraduate Poster Presentation in Inorganic Chemistry (ChemCon2016)
- Chandika Ramful - CIC Award for the Best Undergraduate Poster Presentation in Organic Chemistry (ChemCon2016)
- Alex Veinot - Best Graduate Poster Presentation (ChemCon2016)
- Ifenna Mbaezue - ACENet Award in Computational Modeling of Materials (ChemCon2016)
- Kyle Awalt - Science Atlantic Science Communication Award (ChemCon2016)
- Bradley Green - Science Atlantic Undergraduate Research Award (ChemCon2016)
- Melanie Davidson - Murray Brooker Award for Best Undergraduate Oral Presentation in Chemical Education (ChemCon2016)
- Michael Land - Best Undergraduate Poster in Inorganic Chemistry, (National Conference for the Canadian Society for Chemistry)
- Ifenna Mbaezue: Best Undergraduate poster in Organic Chemistry (National Conference for the Canadian Society for Chemistry)
- Osai Clarke: Best Poster Prize (Canadian Electrochemistry Society Conference)