Faculty Special Bookings
Facility bookings for activities (except academic classes or athletic events) can be done through Conference Services at 902-420-5055. We will help to co-ordinate the services required for the function. Reservations should be made ASAP to ensure availability. Rooms for large venues must be booked by Wednesday of the week prior to the event. Seminar/Classrooms must be booked 24-hours in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you can obtain the preferred style of room.
If the room requested is not under the jurisdiction of Conferences Services, bookings must be made with the department overseeing that facility. See the Departmental Meeting Rooms inventory.
Please be aware that all bookings are subject to change due to academic scheduling. Changes to the academic timetable override any special bookings. The contact person will be notified of any conflicts.
An event can be classified under three separate categories:
- Internal Event: All persons attending are Saint Mary's University staff, faculty or students. There is no charge for the use of facilities. ie. departmental meeting, seminar, etc.
- Sponsored Event: Event/function must be academically oriented, support the mission statement for the institution and have attendance with at least 50% Saint Mary's University students, faculty or staff. There is a 50% room rental fee applicable. At times, full sponsorship of facilities only can be granted by applying to the President's Office. To obtain the Sponsorship Request Form, please contact the Conference Services office.
- External Event: When facilities for an outside group/association are reserved, a meeting facilities fee will apply. Full disclosure of the nature of the event is required.
The academic timetable is set and maintained by the Registrar's Office. Academic timetable changes must be made through the Registrar's Office. Classroom reservations required for a specific date only to accommodate a speaker, presentation or audio-visual/IT needs can be done by contacting Conference Services.
The Registrar also sets the formal examination schedule. All academic and meeting space used for formal exams is blocked off for this period.
Departmental Meeting Rooms
Departments that have a seminar room/meeting room under their jurisdiction should follow the following guidelines:
- Assign one person to be responsible for the booking of the facility.
- Follow the regulations for Special Bookings & Student Functions.
- Inform Conference Services of any booking that includes off-campus persons. This will ensure your event will be listed on the Event Sheet.
- All bookings by external groups (not sponsored by your department) must be handled by Conference Services.
Any facility booked through Conference Services is listed on the daily Event Sheet. This sheet lists the date, facility booked, event name, time reserved and the contact person with telephone number for each function.
Security and information centres throughout campus use the Event Sheet as a guide to unlock rooms and direct people to events. It is important that all functions and events are recorded with Conference Services.
- Groups are not permitted to cater their own food or liquor. All food must be provided by the university caterer, Aramark Higher Education , 902-420-5159, and liquor/bar service with Saint Mary's University Students Association (SMUSA), 902-496-8702. Our beverage/food service agreement does not permit the serving of items supplied by external sources, including donations.
- Campus Security is required at all functions with liquor and at large public gatherings. Conference Services will assign security, at the group's expense, where deemed necessary.
- No food or beverages permitted in any classroom, seminar room or team work room.
- Groups are expected to leave the facility as it was found. When reserving a room, you take responsibility for the room and its contents including IT/AV equipment. It is expected that the room and its equipment be left in good condition (furniture arranged appropriately and all equipment wires plugged in). Should a room be left in an unacceptable state, a cleaning fee will be charged to the group.
- Groups are responsible for any damages/loss (theft) to University property caused by their function/booking.
- Reserved rooms are opened/closed by Campus Security and accessible only during the time they are booked. If you finish early, please contact Security to have the room closed. Security can be contacted 24-hours/day at their office in the basement of McNally Building, Room 106 or by phone at 902-420-5577.
- Should the group have an outstanding account resulting from charges levied for damages, cleaning, liquor or food service, future use of the university facilities will be denied until the account is settled.
- Failure to adhere to any of the above regulations could result in the function being terminated or a suspension in the use of the facilities.
Reserved rooms will be unlocked by security and accessible only during the time you have booked the room. Should room entry be required earlier, please inform Conference Services when the booking is made. Since the group is responsible for the room and its contents, please ensure that Security locks the door when the event is finished.
Security can be contacted 24-hours/day at their office in the basement of the McNally Building, Room 106 or by calling 902-420-5577.
Saint Mary's University is an urban campus with limited parking space; therefore, parking is restricted to metered spaces and vehicles displaying authorized permits.
We recommend that guests use public transportation rather than bring their vehicles onto campus during the day from Monday to Friday. Free evening parking, Monday to Friday, is available after 5:00 PM in spaces designated as "general" and after 8:00 PM in "faculty" spaces. On weekends, all non-reserved parking spots can be used. There is no overnight parking.
For more information on parking, please refer to the On Campus Parking brochure or contact Facilities Management at 902-420-5572.
ARAMARK Higher Education, provides all your food service on campus. Whether you want a refreshment break, light lunch or a formal dinner, ARAMARK can fulfill your catering needs.
Our delectable menu features our most popular selections, certain to complement any event that you are planning. View our catering menu, with full pricing from Catertrax, our online ordering system. If you do not see what you are looking for, our talented staff will be delighted to design a menu to suit your specifications or theme, including full attention to any dietary considerations. Contact us directly or put a note in "Special Instructions" and our Chef and Catering Manager will be happy to tailor a meal to your needs.
Please phone 902-420-5159 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events on Campus
The Public Affairs Department is responsible for all media, government and corporate contacts and can be of assistance to you. The Department can help publicize your on-campus event through various mediums.
Since questions about the University, campus events or media calls are directed to Public Affairs, it is important that they are aware of your event, function or special needs. Please contact them well in advance of your event.
Public Affairs is located at 5907 Gorsebrook Avenue, phone at 902-420-5518.
Where Will You Go?
This season the Saint Mary’s Huskies will be travelling via the SMU bus. When the bus is not being used by Huskies teams, the bus will be available for rent to the SMU community and outside groups.
Why Charter the SMU Bus?
There are many benefits to using the SMU bus for your group travel needs:
- Travel in comfort with full AC, WiFi internet enabled and spacious reclining seats.
- 48 passengers.
- Ample storage.
- Professional drivers that are well trained, friendly courteous.
- Your group stays together and arrives at the same time rested, relaxed and ready for a good time.
- Access to a 24 Hour Emergency Line answered by a real person.
- Environmentally friendly. We use less fuel and emit less carbon, per passenger per mile than your family car and idling is not allowed.
- Show your SMU Spirit!
Rates & Availability
All bookings for the SMU bus are completed through Ambassatours. Rental rates vary by individual trip. Please contact Ambassatours to check bus availability and to receive your individualized quote. Ask for the SMU bus by name!